We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I love cucumbers. I can peel them and eat them all day.
Easy Bread and Butter Pickle Recipe for Canning
This post has affiliate links. This simply means sometimes I recommend a product or service, and if you choose to purchase that product or service via my recommendation, I will get a small referral commission. Of course, this is at no extra cost to you but it does help keep Simply Happy Mama. I truly appreciate your support in this way. Thank you.
We as a family love pickles. They are a great summer side to any sandwich. I’ve searched for an Easy Bread and Butter Pickle Recipe for Canning and so far I think I have found my favorite. Bread and Butter pickles are my girl’s favorite. (I’m a lover of Dill Pickles myself.. but no one else is here..)
I like to do a little canning each year when the garden is producing more than we eat.
I love the look of canned vegetables sitting on the counter.
It is also a great way for us to save a little money at the grocery store.
I have been using this simple recipe and I love it.
IT REALLY IS SIMPLE, I PROMISE.
I like these labels for my jars -> 42 Vintage Chalkboard Label Stickers
To prepare you will need:
- Water bath canner (Canning Kit, 9-Piece this has all you will need)
- Canning Jars (Wide Mouth Ball Jars these have lids and rings)
- Canning Lids & Rings
- Jar Lifter
- Canning Funnel
- Large Pots
- Large Spoons
- Sharp Knives
- 3 lbs Onions
- 6 lbs Pickling cucumbers
Baking & Spices
- 1/2 cup Canning or pickling salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp Celery seed
- 2 tbsp Mustard seed
- 1 tbsp Pickling spice
- 4 cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Pickle Crisp (If you like crispy pickles. I recommend.)
Oils & Vinegars
- 4 cups White vinegar
That was the hard part for me getting everything I needed together.
- Wash cucumbers. Slice both cucumbers and onions. I like mine thicker sliced than most people.
- Combine cucumber, onion, and salt to a large bowl. Mix with hand a small bit. Cover with Ice cubes and let sit for 1 – 2 hours. (While I’m waiting I get my jars ready by running them in the dishwasher)
- Place vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, pickling spice, turmeric, and celery seed in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Drain and rinse cucumber and onion. Add to vinegar mixture and return to a boil.
- Pack into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. (this is why I run in the dishwasher so they are hot and I don’t have to boil them)
- Remove air bubbles with a small tool. Make sure to read instructions on the pickle crisp because you would now add it to each jar.
- Wipe rims clean and place on lids.
- Process pints for about 15min in a water bath.
My pickles sealed really soon after I took them out of the canner.
I have never had an issue with any of my jars not sealing, but if it happens just put them in the fridge.
Join the Simply Happy Mama community for FREE Mom printables by email!
You may also like to read:
- Meal Planning Tips- For Busy Families!
- School Lunch Ideas for Kids!
- Yumbox Lunch Packing for Pre K- For a Picky Eater !
- How to Meal Plan the easy way
- Freezing Soup the Easy Way
Printable Planner | Simply Happy Mama PlannerSale!
Join for Mom Inspiration and Community!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email & get a FREE Mama Happiness Workbook to help you simplify your life as a busy MOM!
Get Your Day Organized and Happy, Mama!